Homer Epic 100k
FAT BIKE or SKI or RUN ~ 100k
24 Hour Time Limit
Race date: Saturday, March 16 2013, 8:00 am
NOTE: Homer Epic Race registration is 2 PARTS:
1. Fill out the Registration link, available on this page (this will ask for your qualifications to complete this race safely within the 24 time limit). Please note: Racers that do not make the cut off times at the check points in order to finish in 24 hours, will taken by snow machine back to the start and will pay a $200 evacuation fee to KNSC.** See more below about “Required Evacuation Deposit”.
2. IF you are approved by the Homer Epic Race Officials, within 2 days you will be emailed a link to complete the payment donation of $250. OR you will be emailed an explanation or request for more info if you are NOT approved
~ We ask that you submit payment within 3 days of approval .
(AFTER January 15, 2013) Homer Epic race fee (donation) is now $250.
A 100 km loop (with one out and back) starting and ending at McNeil Canyon School.
EXACT COURSE ON SNOMAD TRAILS TO BE ANNOUNCED SOON
Thanks to the SNOMADS snowmachine club and their awesome piston bully groomer- this unique event is possible!! Be sure to wave and smile at the snowmachiners you see out there.
for more GPS info email firstname.lastname@example.org
Caribou Hills area photo by Don Pitcher
PRE-RACE TRAINING IN HOMER
Click here for a Map to access the SNOMADS multi-use trails for pre race riding and running.
Biking and Running are NOT allowed on Homer ski trails.
Please park at the snow machine parking lots shown on this map. Do not park in McNeil School parking lot- use the SMALL parking lot that is the NEXT lot on left past the school going EAST. If this lot is full then go to the next parking lot; Jones. ( Schade lot does not exist)
email Pat@49below.com for more snowmads trail access info
WINTER ENDURANCE EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
On registration form: List the WINTER ultra race(s) and the DATE(s) you completed them: Susitna 100, White Mountain 100, Sheep Mountain 150, Arrowhead 135, Ultra Sport, or OTHERS.
IF you have NOT completed one of the above races - no worries!
Please list any COLD weather human-powered long distance experience that shows you are capable of finishing this WINTER 100k event on snow machine trails over very hilly terrain ( 6470′+) in under 24 hours.
NOTE: even though these are groomed trails -they are located far in the remote backcountry of the Caribou hills and MANY HOURS from help. If you break down during a snow storm you need to be self sufficient and safe. These are not groomed trails near town.
We will review your form and email you within 24 hours to let you know if you have been accepted to the Homer Epic 100k. When accepted, you will be able to pay the $150 on the link we will provide you on the email.
There are three checkpoints with NTE (Not To exceed) check out times posted below
Important: If you do not make a CHECK OUT TIME ( see below in red) you will taken by snow machine back to the start. And you will pay a $200 evacuation fee, payable by check to KNSC.** See REQUIRED EVACUATION DEPOSIT below
Check Point #1 CCL Lodge : 14 Miles from Start. NTE 2 Quart water per racer and possible snacks, MUST BE CHECKED OUT by 1:30 pm
Check Point #2 Eden’s Cabin: 26.7 Miles from Check Point One. NTE 2 Quarts water per racer and possible snacks, MUST BE CHECKED OUT by 11:30 pm
Check Point #3 Snomad’s Palace: 14.4 Miles from Check Point Two, NTE 1 Quarts water per racer and possible snacks, MUST BE CHECKED OUT by 5:00am 03/17
Only 7.2 Miles to FINISH from Check Pt 3 !!!
WATER DONATED BY Ohlson Mountain Mineral Springs H2O
NON RACERS ARE NOT ALLOWED IN CHECK POINTS AND CAN NOT EAT OR DRINK ANY CHECK POINT SNACKS OR WATER. Non racers that break this rule will be shooed away with brooms, shovels, whatever is handy.
SUPPLIES ARE HAULED A LONG WAY FOR RACERS ONLY!
**REQUIRED EVACUATION DEPOSIT
$200 personal check written to KNSC, is required and given to assigned race official to hold BEFORE the race start. At END of race you will retrieve this evacuation check at McNeil School and tear it up - ONLY if you have NOT been evacuated.
NOTE: You have the option to quit and turn back on your own power from Check point ONE (CCL Lodge) or before that point. Once you go beyond check point one, if you decide to quit, you must be taken back to McNeil by one of our official snow machines and KNSC will keep your $200 evacuation deposit.
ALL RACERS must report back to McNeil school to let officials know you are done at the end of your race, even if you drop out or are evacuated.
$150 until January 15
$250 starting January 16
What you get:
SWIX Homer Epic 100 hat donated by HOMER SAW and CYCLE
PRE-RACE Banquet and MANDATORY bib and race packet pick up March 15 Evening: open 6-9 at LANDS END RESORT upstairs
100k BEAUTIFUL (remote) course Groomed by our awesome SNOMADS snow machine club
Panorama views included - no extra cost
Check points with WATER (see Checkpoints)
Challenging and Fun Experience of a life time
Good reason to train all winter
Fame and glory
Once a racer has paid, there will be no refunds. If your application is accepted and you choose not to pay/race, please let us know! Your payment must be received on-line or in the mail within 3days of receiving approval from the race director to ensure saving your spot. If payment is not received, your spot could be offered to another racer.
REQUIRED RACE GEAR and water/food:
-For EACH required item of Gear that you do not have at the finish, another 4 hours will be added to your overall time. ( there will be random gear checks at the finish) call 435-7375 with questions or email email@example.com
Pack smart and don’t make the headlines!
~ Hooded, insulated AND wind proof jacket (or Equivalent)* - must fit OVER your racing layers*
~ Insulated AND wind proof bottoms (or Equivalent)* - must fit OVER your racing layers*
~ Headlamp ( with new batteries)
~ Rear flashing light must be used after 7:30 pm (with new batteries)
~ Minimum Two-quart (64 oz) insulated water container
~ food: enough calories for YOU to complete 100km in 24 hours. (be smart)
*The emergency layers must be WIND PROOF and INSULATED for:
Entire upper body, including neck and head and for legs.
The windproof jacket and pants either need to be:
1. ( fleece or down or synthetic down) insulated wind proof layers
2. you must bring EXTRA sufficient warm and DRY layers for putting under the windproof items.
3. If you don’t have “hooded” wind proof jacket then you must have “windproof balaclava” ( with sufficient insulated layer under it ) so neck is warm and protected from wind as well as head)
*Be sure the above layer systems will keep you Totally WARM ( neck and head protected from wind too) over your sweaty racing layers if you need to stop for hours on trail- due to injury / mishap and its 15 below and blowing. Be smart and KNOW that your system works to prevent Hypothermia if the worst case happens. It could take many hours for a snow machine to reach you in an emergency. If you know this required list is not enough to keep you warm in emergency then bring more ~ see other recommended gear below.
* NO COTTON
*Water proof covers for feet in case of overflow
* Reflective clothing and reflective tape on equipment - so you can be SEEN by snow machines
* Map of course and compass
* Fire starter or stove and matches or lighter
* small cook Pot and cover
* VHF radio or cell phone ( note: cell phones and radios get VERY spotty reception if at all)
* wind breaker top and bottom
* Extreme conditions mittens & head/eye gear
* Sleeping Bag and tarp or bivy if you think you will be taking naps on trail OR if you Know you need additional warmth besides the Requited Gear to stay warm if stopped for hours on the trail due to emergency!
* Extra layers top and bottom
* Extra socks
* Extra neck gator, hat, headband, gloves, and glove liners
* sun glasses, sun screen
* Neoprene socks
* Duct tape
* Snow Shoes for runners in case conditions change
* Knife or micro leather-man
* 3,000 - 5,000 calories of extra emergency food
* chemical hand and foot warmers
* tools for your equipment
* kick wax for skiers
* first aid: ace bandage, mole skin, and Vaseline or bag balm (for body parts that rub)
* extra batteries
Even though these are groomed trails -these trails are located far in the remote backcountry of the Caribou Hills and a long ways from help.
Homer Epic 100 Race Rules
-NO OUTSIDE HELP: You will be disqualified if you receive any food, water, extra gear, or any help from a non racer during the Homer Epic race. You must carry everything you need from start to finish. (SEE REQUIRED AND RECOMMENDED GEAR LISTS)
-NO PACING or outside assistance of any kind. Your non racing friends/family may cheer for you at the Start, Check points, Finish or Other Locations along the trail ( but no assistance other than cheering to racers unless its an emergency). A non racer on snow machine, foot, ski, or bike cannot purposely follow you, be in sight of you on trail, or break trail for you for any period of time during the race.
-Racers can get some water ( and some snacks) at checkpoints. No stashes of extra gear, water, or food are allowed in this race. You must carry everything you need from start to finish.
- NON RACERS ARE NOT ALLOWED IN CHECK POINTS AND CAN NOT EAT OR DRINK ANY CHECK POINT SNACKS OR WATER. Non racers that break this rule will be shooed away with brooms, shovels, whatever is handy.
-You may receive some food, water, gear, or repair help (duct tape, string, etc) from another racer if you are in dire straits and only if the other racer is willing and able to share and help.
- Racers may change their mode of travel by race day but must let race officials know. ie: if you were signed up for Run but you decide to Ski instead- you must decide before pre-race meeting and be sure race officials change it on your information at pre-race sign in. If you know SOONER than race day - email us info@homerepic,com
-Racers must stay to the RIGHT SIDE of trail and always YIELD to the snow machines, (as you will hear the machines a long ways away). They go 30-70+ mph and will be coming from ALL directions.
- Important that the racers do NOT have loud Ipods blocking outside sound of oncoming snow machines.
-Must be 18 or over ( or approved by KNSC)
-TIRES on FAT snow/sand bikes must be at least 3.7 inches wide. ( NO regular mountain bike tires)
-You will be disqualified if you dump any gear or trash along the trail or at a check point. ( you can burn some wrappers if there is a fire at check point ) but otherwise you carry everything back to finish.
-For EACH required item of Gear that you do not have at the finish, another 4 hours will be added to your overall time. ( there will be random gear checks at the finish)
-Wear reflective tape or clothing
-blinking flashing light must be ON after 7:30 pm for your safety!
-KNSC has the right to not allow an entrant to race if they show up with wrong gear or do not appear self sufficient at the start of the race.
-ALL RACERS must report back to McNeil school to let officials know you are done AND GET YOUR $200 RESCUE DEPOSIT CHECK BACK ( if you were not rescued) at the end of your race. If you were rescued you still need to report back to finish to let us know you are OK.
-NO DOGS or other pets (not even ferrets) allowed
-You have the option to quit and turn back on your own power from Check point ONE or before that point. Once you go beyond Check Point one, if you decide to quit, you must be taken back to McNeil by one of our official snow machines and KNSC will keep your $200 evacuation deposit.
Please THANK our Sponsors by giving them YOUR business and thank them for helping make the HOMER EPIC 100 Happen!
Epic MAJOR Sponsors:
Epic SUPER Sponsors:
Epic AWESOME Sponsors:
If you’d like to be a Sponsor Email info@HomerEpic.com
FOR MORE INFO: Homer Epic Sponsor Packet
2012 EPIC RACE RESULTS AND PHOTOS
FOR QUESTIONS, SUGGESTIONS, MORE INFO ABOUT THIS RACE : info@HomerEpic.com
HOMER EPIC, KNSC PO Box 44 Homer AK 99603