HOMER EPIC 100
MARCH 4th 2017
The Homer Epic has moved! Please go to http://www.homerepic.com/ for details on the 2017 event.
FAT BIKE or SKI or RUN ~ 100k
Race put on by the Kachemak Nordic Ski Club (501(c)(3)
Snow machine & 4 wheeler trails in the Caribou Hills.
Time Limit: Must finish by the next day (24 Hr time limit)
Epic photo by Don Pitcher. Click on photo for his webpage
- Epic Sponsors
- Official RACE photographer
- Checkpoints: cut off times & water
- Experience Required
- Great lodging in Homer
- Local Host Housing email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pre-Race Mandatory Bib pick up
- Pre-Race Training in Homer
- Race Rules
- Race Cost
- Required Evacuation Deposit
- Required Gear
- Recommended Gear
- Race Course
- 2013 Race Roster
- 2012 Results & Photos
DETAILS COMING SOON!
PRE-RACE TRAINING IN HOMER
Click here for a Map to access the SNOMADS multi-use trails for pre-race training.
Biking and Running are NOT allowed on Homer ski trails.
Please park at the snow machine parking lots shown on this map. Do NOT park in McNeil School parking lot- use the SMALL parking lot that is the very NEXT lot on left past the school going EAST. If this lot is full then go to the next parking lot; Jones. ( Schade lot does not exist)
email Pat@49below.com for more snowmads trail access info
WINTER ENDURANCE EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
On registration form: Check the WINTER ultra races you’ve completed. Such as Susitna 100, White Mountain 100, Sheep Mountain 150, Arrowhead 135, Ultra Sport, or OTHERS.
IF you have NOT completed one of our listed winter races – no worries! Then Please list any COLD weather human-powered long distance experience that shows you are capable of finishing this WINTER 100k event on snow machine trails over very hilly terrain ( 6470’+) in under 24 hours safely.
NOTE: These trails are remote and located far in the remote backcountry of the Caribou hills and MANY HOURS from help. If you break down during a snow storm you need to be self sufficient and safe and WARM. These are not groomed trails near town.
DETAILS COMING SOON!
NON RACERS ARE NOT ALLOWED IN CHECK POINTS AND CANNOT EAT OR DRINK ANY CHECK POINT SNACKS OR WATER. Non racers that break this rule will be shooed away with brooms, shovels, ski poles, whatever is handy.
WATER, PIZZA, MUFFINS ARE HAULED A LOOONG WAY FOR RACERS ONLY!
**REQUIRED EVACUATION DEPOSIT
$200 personal check written to KNSC, is required and given to assigned race official to hold BEFORE the race start. At END of race you will retrieve this evacuation check at McNeil School and tear it up – ONLY if you have NOT been evacuated.
NOTE: You have the option to quit and turn back on your own power from Check point ONE (CCL Lodge) or BEFORE that point. Once you go beyond check point one, if you decide to quit, you must be taken back to McNeil by one of our official snow machines and KNSC will keep your $200 evacuation deposit.
ALL RACERS must report back to McNeil school to let officials know you are done at the end of your race, even if you drop out or are evacuated.
$255 late registration
What you get:
MANDATORY PRE-RACE BANQUET, bib & race packet pick-up, $200 Rescue Deposit Check to KNSC, Sign Waiver, EAT
NON-RACERS eat for $15
(kids 10 and under eat for free)
100k of remote TRAILS
Panorama views included if weather is good – no extra cost
Check points with WATER and snacks (see Checkpoints)
Challenging and Fun Experience of a life time
Good reason to train all winter
Fame and glory
Once a racer has paid, there will be no refunds. We recommend buying Active.com cheap race insurance.
REQUIRED RACE GEAR and water/food:
-For EACH required item of Gear that you do not have at the finish, an extra 5 hours will be added to your overall time. ( there will be random gear checks at the finish) call 435-7375 with any questions or email email@example.com
Pack smart and don’t make the headlines!
~ Hooded, insulated AND wind proof jacket (or Equivalent)* – must fit OVER your racing layers*
~ Insulated AND wind proof bottoms (or Equivalent)* – must fit OVER your racing layers*
~ Headlamp ( with new batteries)
~ Rear flashing light must be used after 7:30 pm (with new batteries in the unit)
~ Minimum Two-quart (64 oz) insulated water container
~ food: begin with enough calories for YOU to complete 100km in 24 hours. (be smart)
*The emergency layers must be WIND PROOF and INSULATED for:
Entire body (including neck, head, and legs).
The windproof jacket and pants either need to be:
1. ( fleece or down or synthetic down or wool) insulated wind proof layers
2. you must bring EXTRA sufficient warm and DRY layers for putting under the windproof items.
3. If you don’t have “hooded” wind proof jacket then you must have “windproof balaclava” ( with sufficient insulated layer under it ) so neck is warm and protected from wind as well as head)
*Be sure the above layer systems will keep you Totally WARM ( neck and head protected from wind too) over your sweaty racing layers if you need to stop for hours on trail- due to injury / mishap and its 20 below and blowing. Be smart and KNOW that your system works to prevent Hypothermia if the worst case happens. It could take many hours for a snow machine to reach you in an emergency. If you know this required list is not enough to keep you warm in emergency then bring more ~ see other recommended gear below.
*Water proof covers for feet in case of overflow
* NO COTTON
*Water proof covers for feet in case of overflow
* Reflective clothing and reflective tape on equipment – so you can be SEEN by snow machines
* Map of course and compass
* Fire starter or stove and matches or lighter
* small cook Pot and cover
* VHF radio or cell phone ( note: cell phones and radios have VERY spotty reception IF at all)
* wind breaker top and bottom
* Extreme conditions mittens & head/eye gear
* Sleeping Bag and tarp or bivy if you think you will be taking naps on trail OR if you Know you need additional warmth besides the Requited Gear to stay warm if stopped for hours on the trail due to emergency!
* Extra layers top and bottom so you can REMOVE sweaty race cloths if you need to stop
* Extra socks
* Extra neck gator, hat, headband, gloves, and glove liners
* sun glasses, sun screen
* Neoprene socks
* Duct tape
* Snow Shoes for runners in case conditions change
* Knife or micro leather-man
* 3,000 – 5,000 calories of extra emergency food
* chemical hand and foot warmers
* tools for your equipment
* kick wax for skiers
* first aid: ace bandage, mole skin, and Vaseline or bag balm (for body parts that rub)
* extra batteries
These trails are located far in the remote backcountry of the Caribou Hills and a long ways from help.
Homer Epic 100 Race Rules
-NO OUTSIDE HELP: You will be disqualified if you receive any food, water, extra gear, or any help from a non racer during the Homer Epic race. You must carry everything you need from start to finish. (SEE REQUIRED AND RECOMMENDED GEAR LISTS)
-NO PACING or outside assistance of any kind. Your non racing friends/family may cheer for you at the Start, Check points, Finish or Other Locations along the trail ( but no assistance other than cheering to racers unless its an emergency). A non racer on snow machine, foot, ski, or bike cannot purposely follow you, be in sight of you on trail, or break trail for you for any period of time during the race.
-Racers can receive whatever is being offered by checkpoints. No stashes of extra gear, water, or food are allowed in this race. You must carry everything you need from start to finish.
– NON RACERS ARE NOT ALLOWED IN CHECK POINTS AND CAN NOT EAT OR DRINK ANY CHECK POINT SNACKS OR WATER. Non racers that break this rule will be shooed away with brooms, shovels, whatever is handy.
-You may receive some food, water, gear, or repair help (duct tape, string, etc) from another racer if you are in dire straits and only if the other racer is willing and able to share and help.
– Racers may change their mode of travel by Pre-race banquet but must let race officials know. ie: if you were signed up for Run but you decide to Ski instead- you must be sure race officials change it on your information at pre-race banquet sign in. If you know SOONER than race day – email us firstname.lastname@example.org
-Racers must stay to the RIGHT SIDE of trail and always YIELD to the snow machines, (as you will hear the machines a long ways away). They go 30-70+ mph and will be coming from ALL directions.
– Important that the racers do NOT have loud Ipods blocking outside sound of oncoming snow machines.
-Must be 18 or over ( or approved by KNSC) email@example.com
-FAT TIRES on FAT-Bike ( tires minimum of 3.7+ inches wide)
-You will be disqualified if you dump any gear or trash along the trail or at a check point. ( you can burn some wrappers if there is a fire at check point ) but otherwise you carry everything back to finish.
-For EACH required item of Gear that you do not have at the finish, an extra 5 hours will be added to your overall time. ( there will be random gear checks at the finish)
-Wear reflective tape or clothing !
-blinking flashing light must be ON after 7:30 pm for your safety!
-KNSC has the right to not allow an entrant to race if they show up with wrong gear or do not appear self sufficient or prepared at the start of the race.
-ALL RACERS must report back to McNeil school to let officials know you are done AND GET YOUR $200 RESCUE DEPOSIT CHECK BACK ( if you were not rescued) at the end of your race. If you were rescued you still need to report back to finish to let us know you are OK.
-NO DOGS or other pets (not even ferrets) allowed
-You have the option to quit and turn back on your own power from Check point ONE or before that point. Once you go beyond Check Point one, if you decide to quit, you must be taken back to McNeil by one of our official snow machines and KNSC will keep your $200 evacuation deposit.
Please THANK our Sponsors by giving them YOUR business and thank them for helping make the HOMER EPIC 100 Happen!
2014 Epic MAJOR Sponsors:
If you’d like to be a Sponsor Email info@HomerEpic.com
FOR MORE INFO: Homer Epic Sponsor Packet
PAST EPIC RACE RESULTS AND PHOTOS
FOR QUESTIONS, SUGGESTIONS, MORE INFO ABOUT THIS RACE : info@HomerEpic.com
HOMER EPIC, KNSC PO Box 44 Homer AK 99603